Thursday, April 28, 2011

Shakespeare's Last 4 Romances/Plays


As the semester wraps up and I finish all my last blog assignment I can't help but think of how much I've learned this semester. The things I've learned this semester will benefit me in my future career in teaching. Enough of this sappy stuff to the issue at hand, Shakespeare's last four plays.

Some people argue that plays like Cymbeline are mistakes in the otherwise amazing body of work. I disagree, I think plays like Cymbeline are a perfect example of the evolution of Shakespeare. To me writers that go through changes and evolve are much better than writers who don't. Who wants to read the 33rd book by an author hasn't changed, evolved, or honed their skills. It would be like reading their very 1st novel but with different names and locations, BORING!!! Yes i agree he does do some odd and quirky things like the recognition scene at the end of Pericles. I'm pretty sure if that was set our time period that would be either and episode of Jerry Springer or Maury. He probably could have wrapped that scene up and made it simpler.

As far as the Winter's Tale and The Tempest go i will talk about a Winter's Tale instead because most of us had previous experience with The Tempest either in high school or at some point in our collegiate careers. I'll admit i can understand that some people view it more as a comedy than a romance which is understandable. At the same time i can see it being a tragedy as well because the way Leontes pushes himself into seeing things that aren't really there and the terrible actions he commits as a result of this are sad to watch. Yes in the end everything works out for the best but i think this could have been a play that had it turned out the opposite would have easily been a tragedy. All it would have taken would have been a few more deaths and a mixture of self realization and regret and pow you have a tragedy. All in all I really enjoyed this play and was glad that Professor Sexson put it on the reading list for this semester.

Well as they say all good things must come to an end(even though I'm not sure if this post qualifies) and I've enjoyed myself in this class this semester. My only regret is that i won't be able to take another class from Professor Sexson before I graduate. In the spirit of Shakespeare I'll end with this quote from Juliet. "Parting is such sweet sorrow"

No comments:

Post a Comment